Naturalists are a special breed of people. While many of us easily miss the signs of life happening in the ecosystems we’re in and around, these people catch it all.
If you find yourself in a vehicle with one, see if these observations don’t ring true:
1) You find among the trash and dirt on the floor of the vehicle snake skin, sea shells, and river and beach rocks.
2) She keeps trying to identify tree species at 55-70 miles per hour.
3) His attention drifts from the road to the raptor soaring near the highway
4) She calls out the scientific name of the road kill you just passed.
5) He starts grumbling about the invasive plant species he can see when he parks the car.
6) Along with the ketchup packets and napkins, you find field guides, bird calls, and binoculars in the glove compartment.
What have you found when riding with a naturalist?